Organic & Natural’s Advocacy Priorities
Consumers want to have access to a wide range of quality goods and services that support their health and that of the planet. They also want to be assured of the safety and integrity of the foods and dietary supplements they purchase. O&N members throughout the supply chain, along with like-minded businesses and organizations, want a robust and fair organic and natural products marketplace.
In championing these causes, O&N has the following advocacy priorities:
- Preserve and promote current USDA organic standards. O&N is committed to promoting the USDA’s organic standards and the expanded use of the USDA Organic seal across market segments. We support policy that strengthens the impact of organic in the marketplace.
- Support and promote third-party verified standards grounded in regenerative practices. This includes American Grassfed Association’s (AGA) Grassfed Standard for meat and dairy.
- Support the development of rational standards for health claims substantiation. O&N Health supports the communication of truthful and non-misleading information among industry to the
consumers we all serve.
- Promote the stringent application of, and compliance with, good manufacturing practices (GMPs) throughout the supply chain. chain. O&N supports extending FDA’s GMP rule for dietary
supplements, which currently only covers manufacturers, to include raw ingredient suppliers.
- Support the development of testing protocols and supplier verification requirements throughout the supply chain to ensure product integrity. O&N supports rigorous residue and processing analyses to ensure the highest level of product safety.
- Guide research and health policies toward a wellness model.