Why Organic & Natural?
With organic food and other agricultural products, consumers can make clear and well-informed choices based on the current federal organic certification standards set and regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). This is not the case, however, for food, pet food, dietary supplements, cosmetics and other products labeled “natural.”
The Organic & Natural Health Association was created to provide collaborative leadership in this dynamic market, creating standards, facilitating research and being an industry advocate through a partnership between companies and consumers.
The Organic & Natural Health Association (O&N) is dedicated to creating and promoting transparent business practices that safeguard access to organic and natural food, products and services. O&N will accomplish this by supporting the development of rational standards for claims substantiation, promoting the communication of truthful and non-misleading information, and encouraging research in the natural products industry.
As such, O&N will take action to:
- Preserve and promote the integrity of current organic standards.
- Educate and engage with consumers and promote trustworthy two-way conversation between the organic and natural business community and consumers.
- Facilitate scientific research on ingredients and products and the impact they have on healthcare status.
- Develop a certification program for natural products, including forging a definition of “natural” based on consensus among business and consumer organizations, starting with food and food ingredients and progressing to cosmetics, dietary supplements and pet foods.
- Advocate for companies that comply with clear, reliable and measurable standards who are unfairly subjected to legal or regulatory attack.
Our overarching goal is to advance and grow a robust organic and natural marketplace in partnership with business and consumer organizations committed to O&N’s Guiding Principles.